Procrastination is a major hindrance to accomplishing our goals and enjoying our life. The first step to overcoming procrastination is to take an honest look at your life and see how procrastination has been holding you back in all areas of your life. If you can clearly see the harmful effects of procrastination, you’ll be motivated to overcome it.
Once you’ve found your motivation, you have the fuel for your battle against procrastination. It might be a tough battle, but you will be victorious and grow stronger in the process. Here are 5 quick tips that will help you overcome procrastination.
1) Set firm deadlines. If you have a vague idea of when you want to get something done, but don’t set a deadline then you’ll be able to keeping put it off. Set a hard deadline and stick to it.
2) Just start. Don’t focus on the entire task at once or you can easily be overwhelmed and never get going. Keep in mind this timeless wisdom: “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” Just focus on taking the first step, then the next one, then the next one. Keep it simple. Apply this to everything. For example, if you have 1,000 pages to read, focus on just reading the 1st page, then the 2nd page, 3rd page, etc.
3) Eliminate distractions. We do our best work when we are focused totally on our task. Distractions will slow us down at best or at worst completely divert us from our task. The best way to handle distractions is by taking physical measures to cut yourself off from them rather than trying to just ignore them. For example, completely turning off your phone off (powering it down) is better than silencing it. Make you successful physically inaccessible to distractions.
4) Be realistic. Unrealistic goals that seem unattainable can lead to procrastination because we don’t want to waste our time or energy. If your goal seems unrealistic, break it down into smaller, more achievable parts.
5) Build momentum by conquering your “to-do” list strategically. Look at your to do list, see what you can accomplish quickest, and start with those items. After you complete each task, you will feel your momentum build. This will give you the strength you need to take on more difficult things.
Follow these quick tips and you’ll be unstoppable!